Saturday, August 17, 2013

I've been to Gettysburg a couple of times but this time it was more of a quest.  In my History studies and in my search for family history I have become more and more interested in the Civil War and went this time to locate the place on this battlefield where two young men fought and where one gave his life for the Union.  My two great-great uncles, John and George Bell joined the 140th Pennsylvania volunteer regiment in 1862 following Lincoln's call for troops.  Of scotch-irish decent and farmboys from Beaver County,  they and many of their neighbors joined up to serve.  They were assigned to Company F under the command of former lawyer now Captain Roberts and were sent to Camp Curtin to drill and train and become soldiers.  Then the rebel army began it's move into the north threatening Washington and creeping into Pennsylvania.  The 140th, part of Hancock's First Corp,s were part of the force sent to confront Lee and his troops.  They  marched quickly into John and George's home state. They were sent in to reinforce beleagured troops fighting in the wheatfield on that hot July day.  John never left the battlefield  At the age of 21 he was killed there on July 2nd.  George was captured at Deep Bottom Virginia and at the tender age of 18 was sent to Andersonville as a prisoner of war.   I feel somehow strangely fond of these boys who had no opportunity to grow into men.  No chance to go home, farm their own place, fall in love, have a  family, grow old together.  There isn't anyone to remember them now.  So I will.  I found their battlefield, the monument to their brave units of farmboys turned fighting men.  I'll write their story to pass on.  Rest in peace John and George.

No comments:

Post a Comment